Tuesday, June 17, 2008

English 101


I do a lot of reading; very little in books, but being a web-programmer, I am exposed to and read quite a lot of material online. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I tend to notice all the little spelling and grammar mistakes that so many people tend to make (myself included on rare occasion) and I've noticed a few disturbingly common ones:




Then vs. Than:

Then denotes a process or procedure such as a set of instructions. Example: First, kiss me, then take off my clothes.

Than denotes a comparison between two or more things. Example: Becca is taller than Jetta.


Two, To, and Too

Two is the number 2. This word has no other meanings. Example: Chelle has two hands.

To indicates a direction or intent. Examples: Bob is going to the store. Bob needs to get more coke.

Too can either mean 'also' or in excess. Examples: Kevin has a gun, too (also). Kevin is too good of a shot (excessively good) for me to win a duel.


Your vs. You're

Your is possessive. This means that something belongs to someone. Example: Jetta, is this your jungle friend?

You're is a contraction or shortening of two separate words. Together, it is short for 'you are' which indicates a state of being. Example: You're my honey bunch, sugar plum, pumby-umby-umpkin. You're my sweety pie. You're my cuppy cake, gum drop, schnookums, schnookums, you're the apple of my eye.


There vs. Their

There refers to a place or location. Example: Put my coke over there.

Their is plural-possessive, which means something belongs to a group of people rather than just an individual. Examples: Their dog thinks it's a dachshund (but it's really not).


Its vs. It's

Its is possessive with reference to some person, place, or thing. Example: Kevin's face looks so much better without its beard.

It's is a contraction or shortening of two separate words. Together, it is short for 'it is' which indicates a state of being. Example: It's not enough to have just one gun -- you gotta have at least three!.


2 comments:

rebecca said...

thanks for the help bobby. UP HERE in spanish fork we get confused....

Kev said...

hahaha definitely an annoying thing to me