Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Road Rash

We had our 2nd softball game of the season on Monday and it was a lot of fun, albeit frustrating. We had a hard time working as a team at the start of the game and gave up 9 runs in the first inning! No worries, though, they never scored again until the end of the game and we caught up straight away. It was a good, close game with good plays and frustrating mistakes on both sides. When time was up, we were tied 10-10 and went into extra innings. We scored 1 run, they scored 1 run. Another extra inning. Lisa got on base, I got a single which advanced her to 3rd, then I decided to stretch my single into a double and it almost cost us. The play at second was a LOT closer than I thought it would be and I ended up sliding in. Did I mention that I was playing in shorts? I was safe, mind you, but I tore up my leg pretty good! It still stings a bit. (I can't imagine having road rash like this all over my body after a motorcycle accident or something!). Anyway, back to the game. We scored 2 more points and now it's their turn to bat. 1 out... 2 outs... no runs. We're holding them. A single sends the planted runner from second all the way home and they are now only down by 1 point. Another single. A double. Now a runner on 3rd threatening to tie the game and a runner on 2nd threatening to win the game. 2 outs, winning run on second, big hitter at the plate... no pressure. A hit! Deep to right field... 2 runners in... that's game!

Oh, well. We had fun. It was a good game and we simply got beat. If we'd lost because we didn't play well, or the umpire was making bad calls, I would be upset and disappointed, but that's not how it happened. We just got beat.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

i'm telling you. LET ME PITCH! we will never lose again.

Lindsay Sprague said...

Ouch! nice! sounds like you all had fun!! I love softball, never could play really well, but it is fun! take care of that leg! linds